bitter13

ism

A distinctive practice, system, or philosophy, typically a political ideology or an artistic movement.

Babel Tower
A.S. Byatt
My Life
Golda Meir
The Sun Also Rises
Ernest Hemingway

Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1)

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card I pick up SF once in a while but wasn't really a huge fan of the genre ... until I read this! Ender's Game was recommended to me by someone who read it the first time it was published (I was 2 years old then!) and I'm glad I listened. I love the characters and everything in it, especially the big twist. The thing is, I think some people might have marked this as a children's book. Now, although the main character (most characters too) is a child, this book is actually pretty violent. In a gist, it's a boy genius sent to battle school to fight alien invaders (all of the soldiers are especially gifted kids). The battle school is comparable to a normal school with bullies etc where (might be a bit of a spoiler here) the protagonist decided to fight back literally and since this is a school that trains soldiers you can imagine it could get brutal.This is a highly regarded book that won best novel in the Nebula Awards and there is not doubt why. Must read even for non SF fan.