bitter13

ism

A distinctive practice, system, or philosophy, typically a political ideology or an artistic movement.

Babel Tower
A.S. Byatt
My Life
Golda Meir
The Sun Also Rises
Ernest Hemingway

Deadhouse Gates : A Tale of Malazan Book of the Fallen

Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2) - Steven Erikson Surprisingly ... I found this book good. Great, even. I thought it was just going to be one of those angel-devil kind of book (and technically it really is that) but it turned out a lot better than I expected. There's too many fantasy novels now about angels but this one? Wow ... just ... wow! I have the Kindle version and the Audible version and I still want to have this one in print. That's how much I liked it!Granted, the book Daughter of Smoke and Bone has the usual Romeo-and-Juliet plot. Angels and "monsters" at war, a character from each side falling in love with each other, fighting for that love against all odds, a bit of twist and turns here and there but it's the story telling that did it for me. Laini Taylor has some wild, vivid and amaaaaaazing imagination. I mean, souls and ... teeth? Teeth!!! Of all parts of the body! Who knew?! Kinda makes one think that eyes are overrated now, eh? Lol!I loved how she gave each characters ... well ... character. I loved them for their strengths and their flaws. Their weaknesses and their talents. I loved Brimstone, Issa, Yasri, Twiga, Zuzana, Izil and even Razgut, Chiro and Thiago and that hunter guy with the disgusting beard! Maybe it's just me but it's so ... balanced. The only thing I didn't like was Karou (I love her name) being a rebel towards Brimstone. The adopted, teenage drama gets old. I loved how she wished for petty things, though. That was amusing. Ironically, it's the angels that I found less interesting but I imagine they get more featured(?) in the next books? I also don't get why the ex Kaz was mentioned too much at the beginning unless he plays a big role in the later part of the story. I guess I'll find out soon enough ... the second book is out! :DAs much as I don't want to get carried away with the hype I thought it actually lived up to it.